1. Word of Mouth
We suggest getting started by asking around. At the end of the day, word of mouth remains the best (and most accurate) form of advertising. Do you know someone who’s built a project home in the Hunter Valley in the last 5 years?
If not, there’s no harm in asking your hairdresser, mechanic, or accountant about their personal experiences with home building. And it’s amazing what you can find out at parties, the pub, and social gatherings. If you are on any social media like Facebook try seeking people’s recommendations there. Even if your Facebook friends haven’t built a new home their mum or neighbour might have.
Ask lots of questions, in particular:
- Were the designs beautiful?
- Were they happy with their finished home?
- Was everything completed to the agreed specification?
- Were there any delays or hold-ups during the project? And how did the project home building company handle these challenges?
- Was the project home built within the agreed budget? Were there any hidden costs that were not discussed or made clear at the beginning?
- Did the company communicate with them well throughout the build, providing regular updates?
- Did they feel cared about — or taken for granted?
This might seem like a bit of interrogation, but this is your dream home and one of the largest investments you’ll make during your lifetime. You want to get it right!